Friday, January 8, 2016

Do you like to pretend instead of going to bed at night....yeah me too! A Flitzy Book Review of "On My Way to Bed" by Sarah Maizes, Illstrustated by Michael Paraskevas

So I'm a big fan, and I mean a BIG fan of playing pretend (you can see my love for pretend play in my books, and especially in my book, Play). I played pretend ALL the time as a kid; I played with my toy ponies outside in the grass, enjoyed a game of Hot Lava with my brothers in the living room (to learn how to play Hot Lava game, click here), and turned into a beautiful green mermaid by putting a pillowcase on my legs ( To learn how to make a really rock'n mermaid tail, watch the "How to make a fake mermaid tail" video, made by an extremely creative kid!). One of my MOST favorite pretend memories was playing with my imaginary rainbow pegasus Chloe. I would take her on long walks outside, feed her rainbow glitter from a plastic bowl, and fly her around in the sky by holding onto my "invisible" leash. She was such an awesome friend!
So naturally,  I found the the kids book, On My Way to Bed by Sarah Maizes/Illustrated by Michael Paraskevas,  to be absolutely delightful! The story is about a little girl who has to get ready for bed, but takes her sweet time because she just can't help but imagine. The little girl's mother "works" with her daughter as she SLOWLY completes all of her bedtime tasks.  The illustrations are adorable, and loaded with color. I especially enjoyed the simple responses from the mother, and of course, the mother's patience. 

Buy it on Amazon here
 So if you are kid who just can't seem to turn off your "imaginary" brain at night, or a parent who understands the importance of getting your child to bed, but in a way that works with the child's wonderful personality, then this book is for you!!! 

FLITZY ACTIVITY BLOG QUESTION FOR KIDS:
What kinds of things do you like to pretend?
Do you have an imaginary friend that you love to play with? 
Feel free to answer by adding your comments to this post!
I'd love to hear from you!   


HAPPY READING AND PRETENDING!!
And never forget kiddos...you matter. 
love, Eve

No comments:

Post a Comment